Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Potions and lotions

A few months ago, I decided to try making my own lotions. This was not a sudden decision, since I have super sensitive, dry skin that scars easily. My legs look faceted most of the time, unless they are peeling. Glycerin only works for a time and so does cocoa butter. Commercial lotions have to be applied several times a day. I'm allergic to anything with lanolin, which actually seemed to work.
So I decided to go with a cocoa butter base (5oz), melted in a stove-top water bath, with the essential oils of peppermint, almond, rose, clove, olive, primrose and lavender. I also added glycerin. I didn't actually measure the amounts of these oils I added so after everything hardened, it smelled like rose oil. It actually worked like a dream, despite the fact that I don't use it when I have to go out in the sun a lot. I burn like a biscuit in the sun, and I didn't want to get even darker with cocoa butter on my skin.
Most of the little lines have faded, along with the irritation, peeling, and the shame to wear anything short.
I tried jojoba and grapeseed oils recently and while I am not allergic, they are not strong enough. Plus they smell like dirt. Shea butter works as long as I exfoliate the ugly regularly.
I just started my second blend with shea butter (3 tbsp), cocoa butter (100g), 0.5mls jojoba, 0.25mls grapeseed oil, 2 drops of rose oil, 2 drops of chamomile oil and 1 drop each of almond, primrose, lavender, clove and peppermint. So far it smells like chocolate. I hope I don't break out in hives with this batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment