Sunday, March 11, 2012

Modular Origami

For a few years now, I've been trying my hands at origami. I started with some simple animals and boxes, then onto jungle animals, and now I've gotten into the world of modular origami. This means that I spend quite a bit of time cutting paper into smaller pieces so I can have enough parts for what I want to make. I still haven't quite gotten around to colour matching properly.

I like my models fairly small, so I experimented with some old folder pages with the more difficult models before making the finished product. I've used the models below for Christmas tree decorations by carefully placing a bead on a string inside of the model before closing. The largest model shown (the star) is about 2.5" in diameter.

I tried the Japanese brocade (6 sheets of paper):



The modular star (30 sheets):



The Kusudama (30 sheets):



and the Winged sonobe (3 colours - 10 sheets each):



I also spent some time with more complicated animal models, but the only one I was able to figure out without wet folding was the bunny. The Labrador and dinosaurs continue to elude me.

No comments:

Post a Comment