Monday, June 20, 2011

Steups & reading

As I mentioned before, today was a public holiday. And what did I accomplish? Well, I corrected some papers. I really have no zeal to mark papers of students who do not belong to me, especially when only 6 out of a class of 21 actually did the assignment. My classes were slightly better - more than half of them handed in their work. I will e-mail them tomorrow to get their asses in gear before I start issuing zeros and writing to parents. I'm sick of that crap and I refuse to tolerate it for another year. I already told them that if they do not come to class to learn, they will find another teacher to take them to their exams next year.

I spent another, more peaceful part of my day completing the second book in the Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins, Demonglass. I really <3 this series, mainly because of the snarky and silly main character, 16-year-old Sophie Mercer.
She grew up a witch with uncontrollable powers, and in the first book of the series, Hex Hall, Sophie was sentenced to 'juvie for monsters' called Hecate Hall, affectionately dubbed Hex Hall by the students after a love spell gone wrong. Hex Hall is home to teenage witches, warlocks, weres, shifters, fairies and vampires (there is only one of those though) who have risked the exposure of their kind, collectively called Prodigium, to the outside world. This was a school but not of the Hogwarts variety - they didn't learn to cast fancy new spells - they were instead told how to control their powers and emotions.
At Hex Hall, Sophie befriended the resident ostracised vampire, fell in love with a boy she REALLY shouldn't have, landed herself detention for the semester, made some frenemies and unknowingly assisted her evil ancestor. I know it sounds insane, but it is really easy to follow when reading the book.
Demonglass involves Sophie meeting her father for the first time, more love drama, a new environment, council secrets and more sh*t hitting the fan. I LOVED IT.
The only thing I don't like about the series are the cliffhangers at the end of each book. I want to get the next book like, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment