The folks at Tobago Dive Experience are so nice. I'm a terrible student (and I am plagued by some terrible students) so I really appreciated their patience and encouragement. Kedar and I did the theory portion for the PADI Open Water Diver certification in Trinidad back in March and we were waiting until we both at time (and money) to make the trip to Tobago to tackle the pool sessions and open water dives.
With the school year ending, I was itching to do something fast. I contacted the lady at TDE and she sorted everything out. Last Sunday, Kedar and I went to Tobago to complete the practical portion of our PADI Open Water Diver certification. We stayed by their place in Speyside, Manta Lodge which was nice and simple.
For the first three days, I have absolutely no photos. This was because on Sunday afternoon, we did the first part of the pool session in their little pool out front. Then on Monday and Tuesday, we had two dives each.
- I should mention that it was only until the 4th dive that I did not get insanely nervous about flipping back into the water, and managed to move around underwater properly (re: bad student who cannot swim with fins).
- My weight belt came off in each dive and thankfully it was pretty long so I was able to clip it back on every time.
- I am too big for an xs BCD (it fits with all the clips loose) but to small for a small (it fits but comes away from my back underwater).
- I am just as clumsy underwater as I am on land as evidenced by my "falling" straight into a bed of coral when coming down at the start of my 2nd dive. Brain coral cuts in neat little lines.
- I need to walk with copious amounts of sunscreen and a hat because OH MY GOD the face, lower arm and half thigh (short wetsuits) tan looks ridiculous. My watch tan is equally absurd.
On Thursday, we spent the day lazing around and took a walk up the hill past the hotel and checked out the views. There is an old water wheel from the plantation days and an abandoned house that has an awesome view. There were people who seemed *ahem*busy in the beach we wanted to go to. Then we got lobster and headed back to the hotel to get ready for the airport.
The drive to the airport in the winding roads was very unkind to my undigested food. Thank God for Gatorade. Seriously.
the pond/river just outside the hotel...
The Water Wheel at Speyside...