Monday, April 22, 2013

Apple tarts

Last Wednesday I had to stop off at the mall before going home. I decided to get some almond flour (for round 6 of macarons vs. me) at the supermarket and when I walked in, I saw apples and said, 'Hey! I could make tarts."

When I got home, I took out some plain digestives, butter, sugar and spices that I would need. I rinsed the 6 silicone cups I bought ages ago but never used. Peeling and coring the apples took FOREVER. I don't even know why I bothered taking my time, since I got fed up when I was assembling and dumped everything for the filling in the food processor.

These were my babies:

   

For 6 tarts, I used for the crust: 3 packs of digestives (each has 3), 2 tbsp. butter, 1 1/2 - 2 tbsp. granulated sugar. I mixed them in the food processor until it could be packed and I lined the bottom and sides of the silicone cups.

For the filling: 2 granny smith apples peeled, cored and diced, 2 tbsp. granulated sugar, 1 - 2 tbsp. lime juice, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. allspice. After mixing everything in the food processor, I spooned out 6 portions into the cups.

I never remember to pre-heat the oven, so I turned it on at 350F and waited a few minutes before putting a cookie tray with the tarts. I baked it for about 30 minutes (the apples were soft by then). When they were ready, I left them to cool until the crust got hard (5 - 10 mins) and then they popped out easily from the cups. I whipped some cream with 1 tbsp. vanilla essence and topped them when they were cool enough. From start to finish, I took about 1 1/2 hours and the only thing that was left over was the topping. Apparently one 200ml pack is enough for 12 tarts. Which is why I made them again on Saturday.

YUM.

Even after all this, I was still peeved that the supermarket had no almond flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment