Saturday, June 18, 2011

Procrastination excuses

I have a pile of scripts to correct on the floor of my room. I'm not behind - I've taken the burden of two extra classes for a teacher who took sick leave for this term. I have some of those days, two weeks actually, but I've never used them since I haven't fallen ill for the last two years or so. If I do, I will call Seven Seas and complain.

I just don't want to dive into work just yet. After all, this is a long weekend and it's only Saturday. Tomorrow is Labour Day and Monday is the holiday for it. Then Thursday is another holiday for Corpus Christi. I don't understand why that is a public holiday when Holi/ Phagwa or even Eid-Al-Adha isn't. Carnival is a holiday in some work places and Divali isn't. Oh well.

Anyway, I spent the better part of the day reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman. As mentioned in a previous post, I've been chewing through novels like a woman crazed. I am 24 books into my Goodreads goal for the year; I will most likely increase the goal when I have almost attained it. I know it's a crappy excuse for a Saturday... all day... but heck, whatever works as an excuse for procrastination.
The novel though, is weirdly entertaining. The protagonist is Quentin, who is this sullen young man, thrust into the magical world. For the first part of the book (the part I've read thus far), Q's journey through college is told, and it is reminiscent of our college experiences... or at least those of us who spent the 3-4 years of our bachelors in a constant state of stress. He's read about magic in a book series of a place called Fillory, which is akin to our Narnia, but his spells are not easy as flourishing a wand, his lecturers are not kind (or sane for that matter), his internship is frigging crazy, his dorms are not perfectly decorated and colour coded. There is swearing, lots of wine and PG-narrated sex.
Quentin still manages to come out of the experience sullen and unfulfiled. Close to graduation, he was scared about what he was going to do with his life, and as of yet in the book, I have not seen any proper direction for his life. Poor lad.

I also watched the pilot episode of The Walking Dead. Since it is shown on AMC and I don't have that channel, I only heard of the series when I went looking for Game of Thrones episodes. The name told me it was either zombies or vampires, both of which attract me like a moth to a flame... a vamp to blood... a zombie to flesh... yeah.



My take on it? Well... I think the makeup and costuming is so fabulous, and the emotions so intense that I will watch the series, but not in a marathon watch like I soaked up BBC series Downton Abbey, Jane Eyre and Pride & Prejudice the last few weekends. Victorian-era saturation, I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment