Saturday, October 24, 2009

Muse - The Resistance

I got this album over a month ago but I haven't had the time to really listen to it. Yesterday I put it on while Krystal and I were out for our Friday run.
I loved Black Holes & Revelations with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. It was a true masterpiece so I didn't expect The Resistance to be anything less than wonderful. I will say, I am pleased. I love the instrumentals in the songs and Matthew Bellamy's voice compliments them really well.
1. Uprising is an anthem for freedom, unity and hope with the chorus: They will not force us / They will stop degrading us / They will not control us / We will be victorious / So come on
2. The Resistance contains some of the best instrumentation I've heard in progressive and alternative rock in a long time. The bass is really nice and the chorus is catchy.
3. Undisclosed Desires sounds like a really poppy track but Matthew's crooning more than makes up for it. I love the chorus:
I want to reconcile the violence in your heart / I want to recognise your beauty's not just a mask / I want to exorcise the demons from your past / I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart
4. United States of Eurasia is a classic Muse song. The opening tune reminds me of Starlight off the BH&R album - I knew right off the bat that I would love it. It has an Arabian flair, a dose of Queen, and a Chopin bit that was a really nice touch.
5. The bass and drums in Guiding Light remind me of an 80's song. It's one of the slower tracks and it is nice, but nothing to scream to the heavens about. I like the lyrics and Matthew's wailing in this track. It's about a broken man reaching out to the one who can piece him together.
6. Unnatural Selection sounds like some of Muse's older work, which is not necessarily a bad thing. After all, they are awesome sauce.
7. MK Ultra has very interesting lyrics. I like the beat and the tune of the song, but the opening lyrics were my favourite: The wavelength gently grows / Coercive notions re-evolve / A universe is trapped inside a tear / It resonates the core / Creates unnatural laws / Replaces love and happiness with fear
8. I Belong to You is the token fun love song. I like that the piano is heard over the guitars and the french is a lovely addition. It sounds like a mix of Queen influenced by classical plays.
9., 10. & 11. Exogenesis Symphony is a stroke of genius. The orchestration, the vocals, the falsetto melody, the entire premise of this song is just brilliant. From beginning to end, the musicianship of Muse is at its best. It's definitely my favourite on the album.

All in all, 5/5. Go listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment