Saturday, November 23, 2013

Almond Sour Cream, then Chocolate.

An almond sour cream pound cake was last weekend's creation. I followed Paula's Deen's recipe for the most part - I fold the sour cream at the end just like my mom's chocolate cake.

This cake cracked during cooking, and in true pound cake fashion, it was pretty dense, but moist and really REALLY good. That cake finished by Thursday.



I took the picture in bad light using my tablet, so excuse the ugly.

This weekend's treat is a chocolate cake via a recipe my mom uses a lot. She says it's from an old cookbook (that I am afraid got tossed in the move) by Winifred Grey called Caribbean Cookery. I love this recipe. It isn't a super sweet cake, which I absolutely love. I basically have the recipe the best way my mother remembers it. And I may have tweaked it a wee bit.

Ingredients
2 ½ cups cake flour, 3 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
¾ cup butter, softened, 3 eggs kept at room temperature, beaten with lemon peel to foam then remove peel
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup full cream milk with 1 tsp vanilla at room temperature

Method
1. Grease and flour two 10” x 6” cake pans.
2. Sift all dry ingredients three times.
3. Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl on medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs to mixture, alternating with half of the dry ingredients.
5. Alternate the milk and vanilla with the other half of the dry ingredients. This should make a very light batter.
6. Fold in sour cream with a spatula.
7. Divide the batter in the two pans and bake at 300F for 30 – 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
8. Let the cakes cook in the pan for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

For the topping, I made a chocolate whipped frosting like the vanilla one of the white triple layer cake, but with like, 8 tbsps of cocoa powder - three were in the custard part and five more were added in whipping since it was barely brown. It's the super light and whipped lovechild of chocolate pudding and Milo. YUMMZERZ!

No comments:

Post a Comment