Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day 6 of Paris

Well today I figured I could optimise my time by visiting the Basilique du Sacré-Cœur as well as the Centre de G. Pompidou today.
After taking my dear time to get up and out of the hotel this morning (it's getting harder to do this each day as I am still exhausted from the day before and OMG Versailles Gardens had my legs aching so much), I walked to the St. Michel station and started my trip up to Montmartre to see the Basilique. I call it the mosque-looking place that I see every time I haul ass walk up anywhere to see a view of the city.
Now, only a few travel websites mentioned this place, and I realised why.
I did not actually make it to the Basilique because the streets in Montmartre were deserted of tourists at the time I went (10 a.m.) and all I saw were shady-looking characters a la Henry Street Port-of-Spain. This is a street back home that I had to pass through to get to a bookstore and I think I will do without any books from there. I'm not a fan of people just loitering in front of workplaces or on the street corners. They should be at work or doing something else productive. I felt very uncomfortable in that neighbourhood this morning so after walking a couple blocks and not seeing an improvement, I re-traced my steps to the train station and headed down to the Centre Pompidou and the Marais.
Marais is a very fancy place. The travel websites like to call it 'aristocratic', which is a nice way of saying expensive. I found the Pompidou easily as its architecture allows it to stand out anywhere.



I used the lift and escalators right up to the top floor and got this view:



There was a little restaurant out on the terrace that you could see from inside:



As I entered, I was greeted by this piece made entirely of bottle aluminium bottle caps strung and squashed together.



I went to the Contemporary Art gallery first where I saw the 10 Liz Taylor piece from Andy Warhol, an embroidered piece from Alighiero Boetti



Pieces by Luigi Di Sarro, Sigmar Polke and Verner Panton, who did a huge colourful model



Demakersvan did this one by bending galvanise to make a picture:



Theverymany made a HUGE model using computational architecture:



Carsten Holler's mushroom was anatomically correct and about seven feet tall:



Yaacov Agam designed and created this entire room of colour ranges:



After that I went to the Modern Art gallery where I saw pieces that I liked by Matisse, Magnelli, Braque, Picasso, Leger, Kupka, Kandinsky, Sonia and Robert Delaunay, Chagall, Dali, Bonnard, Pollock, Vasarely and Matta. I also liked Robert Le Ricolais polyten bridge models. Takis had a musicale using a metal bar danging on a string that randomly makes contact with another taut musical string and Burry made a cracked textured painting that I loved. Outside the Pompidou on the terrace was another piece but the artist's name escapes me right now.



After that I walked around Marais for while and got some clothes on sale at H&M. I checked out Galleries Lafayette but it reminded me of Macy's, so it was nothing spectacular but very crowded.
After that I bought lasagna at the Monoprix where the lady dishing out my food laughed at me when she asked how much and I told her half a spoon (was I supposed to have an idea in my head how much a kilo of lasagna is by eyeballing? I ended up with 0.1kg anyhow) and the cashier was quite rude.

No comments:

Post a Comment